Thursday 26 October 2023

Purple Patch re-visited 25th October 2023


I so enjoyed my few hours with the extraordinary Purple Heron at Whelford Pools NR yesterday, I made another visit today. Such an opportunity will not last for long so best to make the most of it, especially as it is so close to my home.

I went later in the day this time, just after noon in the hope the hide would be less crowded than yesterday and my hopes were realised.

The heron was initially out of view but soon walked out from its hiding place in the reeds to my left and behaved much as it did yesterday. I watched it catch two fish, both Perch but today it seemed less inclined to remain on the cut reed patch in front of the hide and flew off on two occasions to other stands of reeds at different parts of the lake.

I spent three hours in the hide this time with everyone keeping very quiet knowing how sensitive the heron is, which made it very relaxing to sit looking out on the tranquil autumnal scene before me.No rustling crisp packets, no inane incessant voices trying to outdo each other on what they had seen on whatever holiday or birding trip they had been on.No endless lists of moths caught overnight or birds seen from their toilet window, that sort of thing.It drives me to distraction but not today thankfully

Would that it was always so.

Now back to the heron and some more images, rather a lot in fact!


















No comments:

Post a Comment