Thursday, 20 August 2026

I Really must Stop 19th August 2026

After yesterday's dull cloudy weather the sun returned this afternoon but brought with it a strong westerly wind to keep the temperature low.

I decided to return one more time to Eastleach not so much for the shrike but to try and bird the surrounding hedgerows and see what I could find. Unlike my normal practice  where I go at around 6pm I arrived mid afternoon at 3pm to find quite a crowd looking for the shrike which I was informed had been missing for quite some time

The wind had increased since my arrival and was now gusting violently along the bridleway. Assuming any bird would seek shelter in the lee of the wind I scoped the long hedge that runs crossways across the bridleway and marks the border between Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire.

Sure enough I found that birds were indeed perched amongst the leaves and twigs, sheltered from the wind and enjoying the sun. A Corn Bunting, plump and fluffed was sunk low on its perch entirely out of the wind in a sun pocket formed by the leaves.Watching in my scope it closed its eye and drowsed.A picture of content. Scoping further along the hedge I came upon two Whinchats, a male and a juvenile, both perched low and out of the wind.The juvenile too was relaxed and making the most of being sheltered.It stretched its wings and spread its tail revealing the symmetrical white squares at the tail base then began a long preening session.Soon it will be heading south so best to get everything in order before departure

The shrike was still absent and people were wandering around at a loss what to do other than wait.Eventually it appeared on its favourite bramble clump and everyone was happy.I remained until 6.30 in the evening as the shrike was now never out of view and gave, yet again, some fabulous views and photo opportunities.There is nothing more I can add to what I have written before so instead here are some of the images I took today of the shrike in various poses














No comments:

Post a Comment