Wednesday 1 September 2021

Just like Buses 31st August 2021


At the beginning of August, well the 3rd to be precise, a juvenile Purple Sandpiper graced the concrete shores of Farmoor Reservoir, remaining into the next day.This was the first recorded at Farmoor since May 2011, just over ten years ago.

Today, on the last day of August, I went to the reservoir to renew acquaintance with a juvenile male Ruff which had arrived yesterday on a Bank Holiday Monday that true to form was cold, windy and grey.






I walked up the causeway but there was little to see apart from a huge gathering of Sand Martins brought low by the cloud and mizzle and scudding back and forth over the reservoir's waters. Some even settled on the tarmac surface of the causeway and looked thoroughly miserable.


Juvenile Sand Martins

Up to fifteen Swifts scythed through the murk above the martins but soon they too were feeding low over the waters as a result of the miserable conditions. Further along a juvenile Dunlin, with twinkling legs ran amongst the Pied Wagtails at the edge of the water but that was the sum of it.

At the end of the causeway I could see a scrum of photographers on the western bank of Farmoor Two, the larger basin, obviously intent on getting the ultimate image of the feeding Ruff. Not feeling inclined to join them I turned in the other direction to make a circuit of Farmoor One, the smaller basin. Sadly there was little to excite until, on getting to the eastern end, I found a juvenile Ringed Plover feeding by the water.



I decided to continue onwards and make a circuit of Farmoor Two, hoping to intercept the Ruff as I did so and then return down the causeway for a coffee at the cafe. On getting to where the Ruff had been I could not find it which was a disappointment and so set off down the causeway to console myself at the cafe.The weather had improved slightly, the cloud lifting  and with it the Sand Martins departed as did the Swifts. Two thirds of the way down the causeway I could see three small waders feeding at the waterside.

On getting closer I could see that two, feeding close to each other, were juvenile Dunlins, an expected and regular migrant at this time of year. The third bird was further along and looked like it might be another Dunlin, although it was markedly less active. On closer inspection of this bird I could see that it was obviously darker and its feeding style was slower and more deliberate, the bird crouching on bent legs and slowly making its way along the water's edge picking at the wet concrete.


It took just seconds to realise that this was another juvenile Purple Sandpiper, following the one that had been here earlier in the month. I could hardly believe that here was a second individual in less than a month, totally unexpected and thrilling to find, after all the hours and days walking the reservoir with nothing really to show for it.That well known cliche about buses sprang to mind!

This Purple Sandpiper was in a more advanced state of plumage than its predecessor and its bill and legs more strongly coloured orange yellow. Like the previous bird it was totally confiding, possibly even more so and if you had a mind to, you could walk right up to it.Obviously it had never encountered human beings and had not learned to fear us.

It was touching, in a way, to stand within feet of this tiny wader stuttering along the edge of the water. I am so used to birds flying in fear of me that when a bird such as this shows no fear and is confident that my intentions are benign, it catches at something within. 

There is some evidence that a majority of the wintering Purple Sandpipers in Britain originate from Canada and this individual was presumably making its way to the south coast of England, maybe further south to the Low Countries or Iberia, to spend the winter, joining with other Purple Sandpipers at traditional favourite rocky places on the seashore.

I sat on the wall for ten minutes admiring it and taking lots of photos (see below) but birding being what it is today I needed to inform other local birders of its presence or I would not be popular. I knew Dai and Dave had gone to the cafe and would want to see it so I called them but they did not answer. I called Ian Lewington our County Bird Recorder and he put the news out. Dave called back and soon he and Dai joined me on the causeway.

For the next hour I treated myself with close and personal views of this surprise and welcome visitor.

Below are quite a lot of images of the sandpiper but I am sure you will understand that for me this was an exceptional and exciting occurrence on the prosaic shores of my local inland reservoir, so please indulge me.

















Purple Sandpiper video by Badger.

No comments:

Post a Comment